What Can Each Of Us Do?
Provided is a list of ideas, which may help you to get to know
your Legislator or Candidate, and assist with our grassroots efforts
of educating the Legislators. You may want to set a goal of participating
in at least three of the legislative activities listed below. Regardless
of the time of year or where we are in an election cycle, legislators
are assumed to be running for election. Term limits has increased
the necessity for Senators and Representatives to be actively campaigning
all through an election cycle.
Your efforts and communication with your Legislator during a campaign
season are critical to the success of the Michigan Cemetery Association.
We appreciate your commitment.
- Begin by contacting the chair of incumbent/candidates
committee. Offer to help in any way you can.
- Request your name and address be placed on your legislators
mailing list so you receive announcements of fund-raisers and
- Schedule a coffee, breakfast, lunch or dinner meeting with
your legislator to talk about cemetery issues.
- Call colleagues and
invite them to attend meetings with your legislator.
- Attend legislators fund-raiser events.
- Write a letter to legislator and thank him/her for meeting with
- Keep your legislator informed by providing literature regarding
the death care industry.
- Register or volunteer to help at your legislator’s variable
summer fund-raiser events: golf outings, baseball games, etc.
- Invite legislator/candidates to a tour of your cemetery.
- Attend campaign meeting.
- Attend campaign work session stuffing envelopes or telephoning
- Volunteer to canvas neighborhood or deliver and set up yard
- Volunteer to pay the postage to mail candidates postcards to
family, friends and neighbors, seeking their support at the election.
- Attend strategy sessions for candidates’ campaigns.
- Send congratulatory letter to successful candidates.
- Attend victory parties.